Saturday, March 1, 2014

31 week Ultrasound and Appointment! Good news!





Our beautiful Elise at 31 weeks!

On Friday we had an ultrasound and appointment.  It went great!  The ultrasound was so much fun.  Elise was moving all over the place.  And we got some wonderful news, too!  Elise's estimated weight is now 3 lbs 4 oz!  She measured in the 9th percentile!  The ultrasound technician even had another sonographer come in and measure her again to make sure it was right.  The reason that this is such good news is that at her last ultrasound about 3 weeks ago she was measuring in the 6th percentile.  With IUGR (growth restriction), they typically expect it to stay steady or get worse.  However, our Elise threw them a surprise and moved up in growth percentiles instead!  

Everything else with Elise looked the same.  We could still see her heart defect, but again, no new defects were seen.  

They did, however, see on ultrasound that I have developed polyhydramnios (excess amniotic fluid--the fluid that surrounds babies in the womb).  I have tested negative for gestational diabetes, which can sometimes cause polyhydramnios.   Our doctor explained that the reason excess amniotic fluid typically builds up is due to the baby not swallowing a normal amount of amniotic fluid.  Babies usually swallow amniotic fluid and also urinate to build up amniotic fluid.  When they aren't able to swallow, or don't swallow as they should, but continue to urinate (because her kidneys are working), amniotic fluid builds up to higher levels.  The doctor said that this could indicate some sort of problem developing in Elise's GI tract, but that they couldn't tell for sure at this time.  I've also read that sometimes the babies stop swallowing as much due to abnormal brain development, which is also a possibility due to her Trisomy 18.  We will continue to monitor my fluid levels monthly, or sooner if I have increased discomfort or go into true preterm labor (which is associated with polyhydramnios).

Otherwise, everything looks great!  My blood pressure is under control, and I've been doing better with the 8 hour shifts at work.

Emotionally, I feel like Matt and I have come to a very peaceful place.  I truly believe that my daily prayer to God to help Matt and I find peace with His plan for Elise's birth, life, and death has helped guide our hearts to where we are now.  God is listening!  I feel like I can relax and enjoy this time with Elise much more than I had been able to before.  I don't rely so much on my doppler to check on her heart beat, and instead just sit quietly waiting for her to move.  I feel like I had so much anxiety surrounding the situation and trying to control it, that I forgot that ultimately, God is in control of this entire situation.  I feel like we can relax and trust that God will bring Elise into this world in the exact way that she is supposed to.  If it's next week, then it's next week.  If it's in two months, then that's when it will be.  Whether she comes out crying, or silent, her life will be exactly what God intended it to be.  There is not much that we can do to change that.  Instead of worrying about changing the situation, we have switched our focus to cherishing every wiggle and kick.  We talk to her and sing to her.  We prepare for her time here with us and discuss what things we would like to do with her when she gets here, no matter how that happens.  We still cry and worry about things here and there, but overall we are just...peaceful.  

I would like to say thank you again for everyone's continued support and prayers!  We are so blessed.


"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." -John 14.27

4 comments:

  1. Jessie,
    That is just beautiful and you are so right. But it takes a very special person to trust in God the way you are. Even Jesus himself did not want to go through what he knew he had to endure and prayed for a different solution. But ultimately, he did made the same choice you are making now. Just know that Jesus is there with you now and will be there in the future. Keep up the beautiful attitude. You are still in our prayers. By the way, the photo is just amazing! A beautiful precious little baby for sure. Just like all your babies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. Every time I read your posts, it makes it so real. So glad she gained weight! Know that I'm always praying and thinking of you guys. She is so adorable in the photo. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jesse, you and Matt are amazing people and Elise is lucky to have you as parents. You have taken one of the most horrible things life can throw at you and find beauty. God does have a plan...it is not out time to know what. Thinking of you often, Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this blog after seeing your crochet work on baby center. I have a month old and an older toddler. I am praying for you. Your strength is inspirational. God bless.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete